Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dharma Teaching through the Multi-Disciplined Yoga of WF



"The signs of progress on the path of Yoga are health,
a sense of physical lightness,
steadiness,
clearness of countenance
and a beautiful voice,
sweetness of odour of the body
and freedom from craving.
He has a balanced, serene, and a tranquil mind.
He is the very symbol of humility."

- Iyengar





My Prayer

My Prayer is that:
Through my countenance you see the countenance of my Teachers.
Through my physique, you see the physiques of my Teachers.
Through my life message you behold the recipe from my Teachers.
What you do not see?
The lifetime(s) of Pain.
That Teacher?
He has yet to be transcended.

My Prayer is to sustain Faith for that.


- steve ilg
from a current book manuscript



"The times when you are suffering can be those when you are open, and where you are extremely vulnerable can be where your greatest strength really lies.

Say to yourself: “I am not going to run away from this suffering. I want to use it in the best and richest way I can, so that I can become more compassionate and more helpful to others.” Suffering, after all, can teach us about compassion. If you suffer, you will know how it is when others suffer. And if you are in a position to help others, it is through your suffering that you will find the understanding and compassion to do so."


- Sogyal Rinpoche




photos:
1) Bharadvajasana variation, Snow Canyon, Utah
2) ilg-style concentration curls from a yogi squat (do NOT attempt unless you are well versed in both asana and strength training; very intense on elbow CT!)
3) closing in an another podium some 20 years after spinal paralysis and still running through the pain; Soulstice Mountain Trail Run, Kachina Peaks Wilderness