Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Father Warrior Ludgate Beaming and Learning


We ordered up these sunsets just about every night - this is the view from our front porch


Coach-
Just back from the "unplug from the grid" trip to Maine - full media fast and full family feast.
Out for a hike with my boys - and Lucas sees this: Next thing I know he's here - then here In the category of "from the mouths of babes" I asked him how he got up the rock so fast, and he said "I just looked for cracks in the rock, stuck my fingers and toes in those and pulled myself up".

Two things in my vacation reading really stuck me. On finding the right balance between stillness and awareness, a Zen book used the analogy of the frog, which sits, still and unmovable, looking for all the world like it is completely unaware of the world around it...but always ready for the fly!

For extra Arjuna inspiration, I am re-reading the Gita. and in the introduction is a quote from Gandhi that really hit home: "By detachment I mean that you must not worry whether the desired result follows from your action or not, so long as your motive is pure, your means correct. Really, it means that things will come right in the end if you take care of the means and leave the rest to Him...But renunciation of fruit in no way means indifference to the result. In regard to every action one must know the result that is expected to follow, the means thereto, and the capacity for it. He who, being thus equipped, is without desire for the result and is yet wholly engrossed in the due fulfillment of the task before him, is said to have renounced the fruits of his action."

This helped resolve a false paradox I had struggled to reconcile - your non-attachment to results and your highly competitive nature. I see now that those need not be in conflict.

More to come in the next few days, as I wrap up the WF Arjuna Training Cycle this weekend.

Love-
Student L