Wednesday, July 9, 2008

World Class Climber and HP Yoga Student ABF; "My battle with my ego..."

In today’s highly interdependent world, individuals and nations can no longer resolve many of their problems by themselves. We need one another. We must therefore develop a sense of universal responsibility . . . It is our collective and individual responsibility to protect and nurture the global family, to support its weaker members, and to preserve and tend to the environment in which we all live.

THE DALAI LAMA



click on photo for a chi hit the size of, well, the Grand Canyon...





Dear Coach,
Friends and I climbed two of the routes on Mt. Hayden before I ran back across that Grand Ditch last evening, and, pushing it up to the South Rim - legs cramping - "hum-sa" (the breath-induced mantra learned from HP Yoga PROP WORKOUT Classes!) bore me aloft, from within. Thanks you for the lessons. I'm using them to learn even more.

The photo above shows our approach into Mt. Hayden, from the Point Imperial lookout on the North Rim, which is one of the shortest for a "summit" in the Grand Canyon, requiring a descent of only 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. and 1200 vert. ft. of dense cat claw acacia. The way out, of course, is a bit longer.

I led the 3 pitches of Pegasus, a classic 10+(++) put up by Flagstaff hardmen Paul Davidson and Jim Haisely in June of '82.... And then my friend Zach led the three pitches of the N. Face route which comes in at 9+/10-....

Zach and my friend Eric (the other fellow in attendance) stayed on at the North Rim to ride part of the Rainbow Rim trail today while I descended back into El Grande Ditch to meet the Dragon there and to get back to my family more quickly. C. gave me a ride home, thank god. I was in no shape to drive...


My battle with my ego is continuous and trying; what matters, I think, is the light which escapes me when I am in the depths of my pain. And the light which fills me again, which I carry back to those I love.

The other day, while running the Peaks, I came across a man at the Humphreys/Aggasiz saddle. As I ran by, he asked, "What are you training for?"

A few years ago, it would have been some triathlon or another. But now, ...



DO NOT MISS THE REST OF THIS STORY FROM WORLD CLASS CLIMBER and HP YOGA STUDENT ABF
only on today's DL SUBSCRIPTION



WHOLISTIC FITNESS; The H(om)e Training Ground of World Class Mountain Yogis Since 1982